As you can see, I haven't gotten very far with this blog thing. I'm determined to begin recording my thoughts, fears, advice, and simply fun facts about my little family and our life.
Well, Calvin Robert Rossi was born on October 31, 2010. Yes...Halloween. Or for all of my fellow church goers, that is also Reformation Sunday. He came into this world just as he was when he was growing inside me...wiggling and fast! I had preterm labor for weeks up until his birth so I was pretty used to contractions. I went into the hospital on a Saturday night at 11:30pm, and my boy was born at 4:05am completely drug free. It all happened so fast that we didn't even have our bags in the room, and they were putting on my hospital bracelet when I was getting ready to push! Calvin was just ready to come out. His personality matches that to a tee. He lets you know what he wants, when he wants it. He's such a happy, sweet baby! When he was born, my life forever changed. I've always been around babies, watched children, and I've helped raise all three of my nephews. I've changed thousands of diapers, but seeing Calvin's face for the first time was a moment that is completely indescribable. Elio and I are so in love. Those first few days in the hospital were pure bliss...then we got home...
Sleep deprivation is a funny thing. That along with hormones and the fears that you're doing everything all wrong made for a very emotional time for me. After the first few weeks we settled into a routine. A ROUTINE not a schedule! Calvin has a "schedule" but it's mostly just what a typical day looks like. There were so many things that came my way that I wasn't expecting, but one of them was the pressure from books, magazines, websites, and other parents to do things a "certain" way. Advice is GREAT! But pressure is not. I felt this pressure for a while, but then when I realized that Calvin was happy and healthy, sleeping and eating well, and I still had time to paint my nails...the books went out the window! Of course I still have questions, what new parent doesn't? Or seasoned for that matter? Life is about change, questioning ourselves but ultimately trusting God to provide us with the answers.
I absolutely love being a Mom. There have been many ups and downs along the way, but being with Calvin is the best part of my day. I love seeing how much joy he has brought my family. My family and I have been through alot the past few months. Maybe I'll write about it soon, maybe I won't. All I know is that God calls you to suffer sometimes, but he always provides a way to get through it. Calvin has been my family's light during a dark time, and I truly believe he has a special purpose in this world.
I'm going to leave you with some of my favorite products & tips because without the internet, other Moms, and random advice from good friends I wouldn't be where I am today with a happy 3 month old:
I love Burts Bees Apricot Oil- I rub it on Calvin's head a few minutes before a bath to help with flaking skin. I also put a capful in his bathwater and it moisterizes his skin so well!
I use only A&D ointment during diaper changes, it's basically just pure lanolin and petroleum so it's perfectly natural but not too sticky. Target's off brand has the exact same ingredients and it's alot cheaper.
I couldn't live without my Boppy! I've had it since day one and I wouldn't have been able to survive the first few weeks of breastfeeding without it. Now we use it occasionally and it's perfect for tummy time.
Tommee Tippee bottles. I recently discovered these, they're new to the US and highly recommended when combining bottle and breastfeeding. Calvin is exclusively breastfed (that's a another blog in and of itself, it's hard work ladies especially if you're working!) and they are wonderful since he had a hard time at first taking breastmilk from a bottle.
*Disclaimer* I will talk about nursing alot, I think it's a beautiful, natural, amazing, and difficult experience. I found myself very alone dealing with nursing questions and problems and I think more people should talk about it! I take it one day at a time. Working Mom's do not have it easy, and I am never one to judge the way one chooses to feed their baby. I do what works for us, and right now it's breastfeeding and pumping while I'm at work.
The title of this blog says it all- Fake it till you make it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment