Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spring has Sprung...

I love that spring is in the air! It's exciting to think about all the things we will be able to do with Calvin when the weather warms up. I've been thinking a lot lately about myself as a Mom...
I always knew I wanted to be a Mom. I vividly remember a conversation I had with my best friend while I was in college, studying my life away...I told her that the only vocation I feel like I was BORN to do was to be a Mom. I've always taken care of kids. I've helped to raise my three nephews as if they are my own. The oldest, Brandon, was born when I was 12 and I loved giving him bottles, changing his diaper and dressing him. We have a very special bond that I wouldn't change for the world. I've babysat others' kids for money while I was a teenager, nannied in college, and no matter what was going on with my college schedule or work schedule, I always was there for my nephews' games, school programs or just to take care of them. For me it's not hard, its just what you do. Family is everything! God has blessed me with a great family, and no matter how stressful or how "hard" it may get, it's all worth it!
Before Calvin was born, I was very "by the book". I researched everything, read online constantly, and even after he was born I found myself sucked into what you are supposed to do. I've found that now, today, in this moment I am more myself than I ever was or hoped to be. I do what I feel is best for Calvin, I pray for him, and I pray for guidance. Of course I read and ask the Doctor or other Moms for opinions or advice. At the end of the day, though, it's about what I feel is best for him. If Calvin is healthy and happy, then so am I!
I feel like the new question of the day is "how long are you going to breastfeed?" Why is there a time frame on it? Breastfeeding is so beautiful and natural, and we finally have such a good rhythm, why would I want to change that? I actually read a blog online the other day that said it is impossible to work full time and exclusively breastfeed. WELL...nothing is impossible with God and a little hard work, thank you very much. Motherhood has taught me more than ever that if you want something badly enough, or you feel strongly enough about something, you just DO IT. Regardless of others'  judgement, opinions, or negativity, you have to do what is best for your baby and your family.
I don't know when this happened, or quite how, but I have realized that in all arenas of my life, I am ME. With my friends, at work, at home, wherever...I feel as if I have come into my own as a woman, wife, and Mother. It's a great feeling, and I feel like I am being the person that God created me to be. Of course, I have inumerable flaws, shortcomings, and moments of insanity but who doesn't? I've learned to embrace the "different" things about myself, and sometimes you just have to laugh!
Also-why should I have to choose between my education and career and motherhood? It shouldn't be an either/or scenario. I feel like so many people label mothers as either a working mom, or a stay at home mom. Aren't we all doing the same job?? Doing the best we can for our families? Although I would love to be able to stay at home with Calvin, my career is a worthwhile one that helps support my family. At work, I do make a difference in the lives of others. If I stayed home, I would still try to do that. I hope to begin my Master's program this fall, and I want to always push myself to go further, to work harder, and to show Calvin that mediocre is never good enough. Even if its just reading books at home, learning new things, or trying new foods, you must always push yourself to be the best you can possibly be!

CALVIN UPDATE:
Our little baby boy is no longer a little baby! In March, he was 15 pounds and on Sunday he will be 6 months old! He is getting so big and learning so many new things. He loves his bouncer chair, and yesterday Mommy and Calvin took a bath together for the first time. He loved the bubbles and playing with his toys. Calvin is trying to crawl and can almost sit up on his own! He tried some pureed bananas and really liked them. We're taking it slow with solids. I see no reason to force him, and babies don't need anything else until they're older. I'm taking it a little bit at a time, and letting him go at his own pace.
Calvin sleeps so well now and has settled into a routine. He is alot like his Mom...if his routine is thrown off he is a maniac. ;)

1 comment:

  1. You have given me so much inspiration as a woman and mother. I think you are such a wonderful mother (and you rock at blogging, love your writing style). Ethan is 2 and is still on a schedule, and is the same way. If you mess with his schedule he is not happy. We all like schedules:) Also, you can do ANYTHING you put your heart into, and you go girl on working and breastfeeding. I also love love love love this blog post:)

    ReplyDelete