We've been really blessed that Calvin has been such a healthy boy. Up until a couple months ago, he only had sniffles and teething symptoms. In May (the same week as my car accident, go figure) he got an awful stomach flu that lasted for a solid week. It was the first time we had ever seen him that sick, and it was super scary. We did end up taking him to the ER just to make sure it wasn't anything more than a virus. After a week he was himself again, but it was a rough week!
A couple weeks ago, he got another stomach virus which lasted 3-4 days and wasn't nearly as bad as the first one. The poop issues were the worst part, and his poor little bum was pretty sore. He had some more symptoms today which was not fun, but he already seems better and is sound asleep. I'm hoping it was just that nasty virus leaving his system-hopefully for good!
Here are my tips for surviving the sickies with a toddler!
-Put your game face on. Just face it that you're not going anywhere. Cancel plans, and put on your sweats.
-Toddlers really cannot tell you when they are going to throw up, so I prefer to leave Calvin in his diaper and just surround him with towels and cover the couch with sheets.
-If it's a really bad virus, camp out in the living room. We don't have a bathroom upstairs, so if we all sleep downstairs, we can throw him in the tub to clean up...even if it's 2am.
-Even if you don't cloth diaper or have no desire to, I strongly suggest buying one with some inserts just for times like these. It's easier to tell if they are having wet diapers (the tell tale sign that they are not dehydrated) and they are a life saver for a sore, raw bum! Poor Calvin's bum was so sore that he was crying really hard at diaper changes, and the cloth diapers made him so much more comfortable.
-For a raw, red, sore bum from what we call "hurty poopies" (WOW I am such a Mom) I used A&D ointment and a cornstarch baby powder. It did the trick!
-Clorox wipes are my best friend during times like this. They work wonders for cleaning up puke and sanitize at the same time!
-There's NOTHING you can give your child for a virus except lots of love, fluids, and rest. So keep the lights low, turn on cartoons, and pray. ;)
-If you are a nursing Mama, KEEP NURSING! Even if your little one is throwing up, nursing is comforting and a great way to make sure they are staying hydrated during an illness. The doctors and nurses at the hospital when Calvin was sick were so encouraging and told me that I was saving him from being sicker than he already was.
-Your child isn't going to starve. Even if you're inwardly-or outwardly- freaking out that your kid hasn't eaten in days, just remember this: As long as your baby or toddler is having wet diapers, they are fine. Their appetite will come back in time. Remember how horrible it feels the few days after you have the flu and even the sight of food makes you want to puke?? They feel the same way!
-Follow the BRAT diet- bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. Calvin loves chicken soup, so we did that when his appetite came back too.
-Keep in mind that this virus or illness is building an immunity in your child for future illnesses! Everything happens for a reason, even if it's making you insane.
-Clean, clean, clean! Kill those nasty germs and pray they never come back ;)
Calvin is such a healthy boy, and I know that these bumps in the road are all a part of parenting...I am glad I've learned these tips and I know it's not the last time I'll use them!
Saturday, August 11, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment