I cannot believe another year has passed! This past year has been filled with busy days, hard days, happy days, and everything in between. If I have learned one thing in 2012, it's that the only thing permanent is change. God has really thrown our family into some new and exciting situations, and the overarching theme has truly been to let go and trust Him. He truly wants total dependance, utter reliance, and selfless service. Trust me, I am fully aware of how much work I need to do and how much further I need to go in my personal growth and change! The past few months, I have had some hard decisions to make, some major life changes, and questions about the future...but throughout each day, each moment, each breath, God is still good.
Here are some of the footnotes of 2012:
-Calvin found his voice. Although Calvin was quite the talker early on, he really took off this year. Full sentences are the norm, and he surprises us each day with hilarious new vocabularly.
-We worked, we worked, and we worked some more! Our schedules were quite busy, and Elio's schedule kept him going. We were able to fit in some really great little trips and had a great family vacation to South Carolina. We got to visit with my amazing life long friend Bonnie and we all had a great time! Summer was fun for Calvin, and he discovered a great love for the beach!
-Calvin got really, really sick for the first time. We powered through THREE stomach viruses, each lasting about a week long and sending us to urgent care on two occasions. I know it's part of life and parenting, but it was quite difficult and I hope that we don't get hit back to back like that ever again.
-Calvin turned 2! Calvin's second birthday was quite emotional as he is turning into a little boy right before our very eyes. His party was huge success, and great memories were made. We had a GREAT fall season complete with apple orchard trips, pumpkins, trick or treating, and craft time.
-Babies, babies, babies! My friends all seem to be sprouting new little angels in their families, and current babies are turning into toddlers. So many little ones turned "1" this year, and I just love watching my sweet friends' babies grow up.
-We became members of our church. This was a very special day which we took very seriously. We love our church family and we are getting to know more great people in our church. Calvin adores church, and loves to socialize.
-I found out I was pregnant!! I am due in June, and we got to hear a heartbeat and see that our baby is healthy on an 11 week ultrasound. We always wanted to add to our family. I was very, very sick for several weeks which was hard on everyone. I am still struggling at times with feeling sick, but it is improving.
-Elio lost his job. This was a huge blow to us that took place right before the holidays, a couple weeks prior to Thanksgiving to be exact and right around the time I found out about our new upcoming addition. This was a huge trusting moment for us as the way he lost his job was upsetting to us both.
-I got a promotion! I have accepted the fact (somewhat begrudgingly, I might add) that for this time in my life, I must be a working Mom. I am good at my job, and I am passionate about my career. The pull between home and work has always strained me, but I am getting better at letting go and trusting that God wants me where I am, and that is just the way it is.
-I finished a semester of graduate school...barely. It was tough, and different, and a huge time management struggle, but I did it. I finished well and I have decided to take some time off from this venture. "Success" to me is serving God and making sure my family is intact, and that is my priority at this point. Although I enjoyed working on the projects and papers, and got some accolades for my work...it took precious time away from my loved ones which is already too few and far between in my opinion. So, this was a hard decision but I've decided to put this on hold.
-Elio got a new job! God provided (quickly!) and Elio got a new job through his union. We are still adjusting which is not easy, but we are grateful nonetheless.
-I took time off-just to be OFF. I've NEVER been off the weeks of Christmas and New Years. I am pretty sure I've worked them (except for the holidays themselves) since I was 16! I took several days off, and relaxed with my family. I also got quite a lot done around the house. It felt fantastic, and I hope I can do this every year. My favorite moments have included sleeping late with Calvin, indulgent breakfasts, coffee on the couch, and lots of time wearing yoga pants and my bathrobe.
-Christmastime was near perfection and it was bliss watching Calvin and the boys sparkle with excitement. Calvin learned the Christmas story, and he melted our hearts with his "Merry Christmas!" and his rendition of "Jingle Bells". He loved talking about baby Jesus, and just adored all the Christmas lights and festivities. His favorite present is Woody, from Toy Story. This past holiday season, he also took on his identity, which is a vehement "I'm Calvin Rossi!!" He tells everyone his name, and loves knowing just exactly who he is!
Well, this is a long blog to make up for lost time, and I'll leave you with some of my goals and aspirations for 2013
~Let go. I can't blog often, I don't scrapbook as much, and I hardly journal lately. It's more important to play cars with Calvin, snuggle on the couch, and do that load of laundry. I will do those things when I can, but I am realizing its more important to live IN the moment than obsess over documenting the moment.
~I'm a working Mom, and that's just what I'm called to be at this point in my life! I'm going to do my best to excel at my career, and 2013 will be no different in that I still prioritize my life in this way: God, family, work. In that order, always. Friends and extended family are in there too of course, but that is just reality and it always will be.
~Have more lazy days. Do nothing sometimes. Being sick this pregnancy has literally forced me to let go of a lot of the scheduling, cleaning, and to-do lists. It's been against my nature and very hard, but it has taught me a valuable lesson. It's ok to delegate and sometimes it's necessary. It's also ok to let things be dirty sometimes. (Gasp!)
~Work harder on my marriage and spend more quality time with Elio.
~Plan special Mommy and Calvin time to get him prepared for his new sibling.
~Spend more time in God's word, connecting with people at our church, and focusing on what is truly important.
~Update this BLOG & work on some more of my personal interests.
~Have more girl time and visits with friends. With jobs, kids, schedules, and life in general, it's hard to have that quality friend time...but it is necessary and I need more of it.
I am sure there are lots of goals and accomplishments that I could or should be working on, but that's it for now! Happy New Year!
Monday, December 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Amanda, you truly inspire me in your faith, your commitment to your family and others. I am so excited for your new addition and for all that is to come for you in 2013! Congratulations on the promotion, the pregnancy, & for your in general awesomeness :)
ReplyDelete